We are hiring for a full time, permanent position for a company based in the DC metro area. However, we are open to hiring in a fully remote capacity for this role. This person will be the main Cloud Security Engineer working alongside a team of Data Engineers to ensure the security of the company, data and systems.
We are looking for a Cloud Security Engineer to work on our growing and dynamic Engineering team. We are seeking someone to maintain security of our established but growing DevOps environment. Our technology stack is rapidly evolving, and the Cloud Security Engineer will be responsible for building and orchestrating the deployment workloads. We are looking for someone with demonstrated experience with highly available services, and a handle on the rapidly changing data security requirements and regulations. Our platform consists of a variety of connected microservices, and the Cloud Security Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the security of our software deployment. In addition, the Cloud Security Engineer must be vigilant in maintaining and improving the security and robustness of the tech stack.
The Engineering team is responsible for data health and quality in every step of the pipeline process, from initial ingestion to deployment and visualization. The ideal candidate for the Cloud Security Engineer position must be the leader and evangelist in DevOps practices. Strong problem-solving skills and creative thinking are critical to the role, and importantly, the candidate must be curious and hard-working, as we expect them to tackle these problems using their own experience and independent research abilities. This position reports to our VP of Engineering.
Specifically, the Cloud Security Engineer will be tasked with the following:
• Helping to monitor the health, stability, and security of our highly available cloud-based infrastructure for every component within our technology stacks.
• Maintaining and refining security solutions and threat detection components to iteratively improve the company’s security posture.
• Automating the deployment of our software using existing CI/CD methods, update them as necessary, and design playbooks for newly added components.
• Administering the release schedule for new features, ensuring our production software is stable and managing any issues or rollbacks quickly and efficiently.
• Maintaining an aggressive security posture through close monitoring of logs and use of AWS security tools like GuardDuty and SecurityHub.
• Monitoring and maintaining compliance with security benchmarks from the Center of Internet Security and other audits for infrastructure security, data protection, and vulnerability analysis.
• Managing the installation of the latest stable releases for all technologies used in our
· deployment while determining and preemptively addressing any breaking changes.
• Performing cost and performance tuning of existing infrastructure components.
Qualifications & Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field
• 2+ years of experience as a DevOps Engineer or equivalent experience deploying and maintaining AWS-based SaaS solutions in a 24/7/365 uptime environment
• Strong knowledge of cloud security principles and best practices is essential
• AWS-Certified as SysOps Administrator Associate and Solutions Architect Associate, or DevOps Engineer Professional
• Proficient in scripting and experience with at least one low-level compiled language
• 2+ years of experience with Git and a strong grasp of version control concepts
• Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle, especially with respect to continuous integration and continuous delivery automation tools
• Experience building cloud-based networking solutions with an understanding of network topologies and protocols
• Excellent communication skills, especially when explaining difficult technical concepts to people in non-technical roles
• Under-the-hood knowledge of both SQL and NoSQL databases
• Experience standing-up big data tools, including Spark jobs run in AWS EMR
• AWS-Certified in specialty areas, especially Security and Big Data
• Knowledge of Agile concepts and experience working in an Agile environment
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
• We are looking for smart, driven, likable, and curious people
• You need to be highly adaptable to a rapidly growing and changing business environment
• You are a quick learner and problem solver
• You keep on top of latest developments in field
• You have an ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
• You are an exceptional problem-solver and have a self-starter attitude